Wednesday, November 4, 2020

Building the Blobster

I have been contemplating building a sailboat for years. After perusing many designs and plans I have decided on a design by Jim Michalak called the Blobster. It is a 15 1/2 foot design with a shallow draft, ideal for exploring shallow waters. The design is ideal for sailing right up to the beach, and it has a walk-through cabin with an opening in the bow making it easy to exit the boat onto the shore. It is rigged with a very practical 139 square foot lug sail. I've been studying the plans for a few weeks, and finally decided to take the plunge, so I ordered the okoume plywood required to build it. I made the first cuts today, measuring and cutting out the largest bulkhead.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Atypical's Maiden Voyage

Maiden Voyage. It's a great day. I launched Atypical at Sardis Lake. Not much wind, but I was elated that it floated and there were no l...